Butternut and Bacon Soup
Butternut Bacon and Turnip Bisque
The turnip can be overlooked and underrated. If you’re not already a fan of this humble root vegetable, this classic purée of turnip soup may surprise you.
¼ Cup cubed bacon 4 C cubed butternut squash
1 T sweet butter ½ t salt
1 cup onion peeled and chopped ½ t nutmeg
6 C vegetable stock ½ t cinnamon
½ C carrots diced 1 Cup turnip cubed
½ cup celery chopped ½ t white pepper
2 C heavy cream 2 cloves garlic chopped
1 cup white wine 1 Apple
- In a large saucepan, heat the bacon and butter. Cook until bacon is rendered. Add the onion, carrots, and celery sauté 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add garlic, apple. Then add wine and spices. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add butternut, turnip and stock. Stir well and bring to low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat down and let sit for 20 minutes before the puree in blender. I suggest using a hand blender, as hot soups in blenders are very dangerous – they blow the lid and may cause burns. Return soup to pot.
- Add the cream. Reheat but do not boil the soup before serving.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!